Thursday, October 30, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes

This weekend, my family attended church in Illinois while visiting my in-laws to celebrate my wife's birthday. At the time, I was feeling rather uncharitable, particularly when a young girl stepped up to deliver a portion of the homily.

"What," I arrogantly thought to myself, "can a nine-year-old girl possibly teach ME about the faith?"

I was quickly humbled by this young lady. Indeed, she had plenty to teach me.

She discussed how every other weekend, she helps look after very young children in the church. She particularly described the challenges she's faced in helping take care of a girl with Down Syndrome.

"I have learned how to be patient and to be caring," she said while emphasizing how important it is for her to share her time and energy with this cognitively disabled girl. "She is my friend."

In the United States, approximately 90 percent of children with Down Syndrome are killed before they see the light of day--their lives considered unworthy of society's care and compassion. This right to put these children to death is fought for by doctors, lawyers, and many other folks with advanced degrees. But here, a little child stood before the crowded church and gave a stirring witness to what love is and how it is done.

Father Frank Pavone of Priests for Life has said, “In giving His Body, Christ teaches the meaning of love: I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person. Abortion teaches the opposite of love: I sacrifice the other person for the good of myself.”

It's unlikely that the young girl speaking at church this weekend has ever heard those words. It's undeniable that she lives them. In giving of herself, she enriched her new friend's life as well as her own.

My wife Laura is fond of saying that if kids ran the world, abortion would be unthinkable. "You can't hurt a baby!" they would cry. "Why would you hurt a baby?"

May our nation be so blessed as to see the world through the eyes of a child.

"Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." --Matthew 18:3

Week in Review

Bill in Congress would eliminate all restrictions on abortion
Woman chooses life for Down Syndrome baby
Pro-Life doctors and pharmacists under attack
40 Days for Life helps Planned Parenthood employee exit abortion industry

No comments: